2009 Client Roster: Donks R Us


Written By Kandis Knight
Donks R Us

While serving a stint behind bars, the future CEO of Donks R Us began envisioning the framework for how he would change his life upon release. After much thought, the idea for Donks R Us Entertainment, a Brunswick Georgia record label was formed.

“The label was founded in 2000 in U.S.P Atlanta. Doors opened for business in 2006. I was in prison dreaming of millions,” explains BG, the young CEO of Donks R Us.

When BG left prison, he focused all of his attention on making his vision a reality. Quickly signing artists YJB, Mr. Mid, Black Dre, Young Corleone and producers Too Smooth and Young Quan to his new label.

Once the team was assembled, it did not take long for them to start making noise. They came together with a shared vision, opened a studio and started promoting their own concerts and events.

Inpired by artists such as 8 Ball and MJG, Tela, Outkast, Goodie Mob, Scarface, T.I., Cash Money, Trick Daddy, Jay Z, Biggie and Tupac, the young crew quickly connected with many chart topping artists in and around Atlanta.

Since the label’s debut, Donks R Us artists have gone on to perform with and open for artists such as Lil’ Boosie, Plies, Young Dro, Trick Daddy and Blood Raw.

“The music talks about life and being surrounded by the things that influence it, money, pimps, players, prostitutes, drugs, street hustling, cars, clothes and women,” explains Corleone.

Through Donks R Us Entertainment, BG has watched his dreams come true for himself and his artists. “Someone told me I couldn’t do it (rap) because I was hustling part time and rapping part time and I was told to be successful I needed to concentrate on rapping fulltime. I started recording my first mix tape “36 Ain’t Enough” in my boy’s home studio. When I dropped my mixtape in the streets, people started taking notice,” explains Mr. Mid.

With the entire group poised to release projects in 2008 and 2009, the momentum is high within the ranks at Donks R Us.

“I made a vow to myself that I would hustle as hard as I could to never have to worry about issues like money,” says YJB, who is currently attending Georgia State University studying Communications with a concentration in public and political communication.

“The idea of my label is to provide quality music we have the right to be called DONKS-R-US. Donks R Us don't lie! We getting it 4 real,” says BG.

For more information please visit www.myspace.com/donksrusent

No comments: